Have your say
Back to index
Indonesia: Death toll of collapsed boat in Maluku reaches seven
JAKARTA, (Xinhua): An official involved in the rescue work of the recently-capsized boat in Indonesia's Maluku province said on Saturday that one more body was discovered, making the total fatality to seven.
Previously on Friday rescuers discovered six bodies from the capsized boat with a total of 11 people on board. Three of the passengers managed to survive after they swam to an island nearby.
"Merlin was found this morning. The body is placed in the hospital at the moment," Mochtar Ingratubun, head of Southeast Maluku regional disaster mitigation agency said in Ambon, the capital city of Maluku province. He was referring to 14-year-old Merlin Tabalubun, the latest boat passenger found dead.
Rescuers are now intensifying search for Jems Ohoira of eight years old, the only boat passenger who had not been discovered. 24 vessels from the military, water police and local fishermen were taking part in the effort to find the missing one, the Kompas.com reported.
The ill-fated wooden boat sailed from Tanimbar Kei island on Thursday bound to Langgur, the largest city in Southeast Maluku, and was capsized at 6 p.m. local time after being hit by tidal wave, according to the survivors' accounts.
Mochtar said that rescue efforts were conducted since Friday morning after the authority got initial information about the capsized boat from the survivors.
Editor: Zhu Ningzhu
Email this story to a friend | Printable Version
Other News from South East Asia section