Latest News

Imprisoning Democracy

Have your say


Back to index

Turkey: Suicide bomber member of an outlawed leftist group


Istanbul, (Hurriyet Daily News):

The suicide bomber who killed one person and wounded another today in an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Ankara is a member of an outlawed leftist group, Turkish Interior Minister Muammer Güler told reporters.

Although Güler did not name the group, reports said the attacker was a 30-year-old member of the outlawed Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party/Front (DHKP/C). The suspect, named as Ecevit Şanlı, spent time in prison in the past, the reports added.

A security guard who also died in the attack has been identified as Mustafa Akarsu, 36, the minister said.

Didem Tuncay, a 38-year-old former broadcast journalist, was also heavily injured in the attack, Güler said.

The attack destroyed the entrance to the embassy building, he said, adding that the force of the explosion left body parts strewn around the scene.

Today's attack bears remarkable similarity to a suicide bomb attack on a police station in Istanbul’s Sultangazi district on Sept. 11, 2012, that killed a police officer and the attacker.

The suicide bomber was later identified as İbrahim Çuhadar, who was said to be a known member of the outlawed DHKP/C. Çuhadar had previously served eight months in prison for participating in illegal demonstrations.

Seven people, including four police officers and three civilians, were also injured in the bombing at the 75.Yıl Police Station last year.

“The suicide bomber set off the explosives he was wearing after throwing a grenade into the police station, killing one police officer and wounding four others at the entry,” Istanbul police chief Hüseyin Çapkın said soon after the attack.

The dead police officer was identified as Bülent Özkan. It was learned that Özkan was preparing for his wedding, which was scheduled to take place five days after the incident.

Çuhadar reportedly passed the outer gate and walked up a flight of stairs leading to the main entrance of the police station at around 11 a.m. The man then entered through the door and stopped short of an X-ray machine placed just past the entrance. There he lobbed a hand grenade toward the police officers at the reception desk, but the device failed to explode. Özkan managed to fire two shots at Çuhadar but was unable to stop the man from detonating his explosives.

The main entrance was severely damaged in the explosion even though the police station was built with reinforced concrete instead of regular bricks, as the building was thought to be a target in the area, which saw deadly clashes between security forces and protesters in 1995.

Email this story to a friend | Printable Version


Latest News

Other News from Campaign on Terror section

News and Views of Muslims in the United Kingdom